The skinny-fat body is formed by simultaneously having low muscle mass (skinny) and a high proportion of body fat – especially stubborn belly fat. So what should a skinny, fat guy eat?
Table of contents:
- Beginner steps for a skinny fat guy
- What should a thin fat man eat?
- 1. Foods with a high protein to energy ratio
- 2. Whole foods that are minimally processed
- 3. Don't over-restrict healthy carbs (or fats).
- What should a thin fat man not eat?
- 1. Limit foods with a high energy-to-protein ratio
- 2. Limit fat/carb combinations
- 3. Limit liquid calories
- 4. Avoid processed foods
- When should a thin fat man eat?
- 1. Eat your largest meals after lifting weights
- 2. Foods eaten in the dark have a greater chance of being stored as body fat due to circadian changes
- 3. Eating in a smaller window to get into a calorie deficit without trying
- Example of a thin fat diet plan for a man
- Example meal plan for a 165 lb skinny fat man
- TRAINING DAY
- DAY OFF
- Example meal plan for a 165 lb skinny fat man
Beginner steps for a skinny fat guy
In ourSkinny-Fat: loose or cut items, we argued that alean-fat Typeshould aim to build muscle and burn fat at the same time. This is often referred to as body recomposition, and to do this requires a few things:
- Eat calorie deficit.This means you consume less energy than you expend, resulting in stored fat being burned to provide energy.
- Eat a high-protein diet.That's becausehigh in proteinis needed to build new muscle (beyond our daily protein needs) and tendon strength, and for whatever reason, the biological process of muscle protein synthesis (adding protein to the muscles) drops sharply during a calorie deficit. So we need to eat even more protein to make up for the lower efficiency with protein and build new muscle (despite being in a calorie deficit).
- Doing resistance training like lifting weights.Being in a calorie deficit puts muscle mass at risk, and lean, obese people want to get leaner and stronger, not leaner and weaker. Resistance training is your best defense against muscle loss when you're in a calorie deficit, and with enough protein (and good sleep, hormones, etc.) you can even build muscle and get leaner in the process. (SeeSkinny-Fat-Training.)
- Daily outdoor walks.Many lean people are sedentary (less than 7,500 steps a day), and this contributes to the buildup of stubborn belly fat. This type of fat is not a normal fat storage pattern and is best burned through aerobic work and limiting inflammation. We can build your aerobic foundation by setting a goal of achieving 7,500 steps per day. Take the steps outdoors (without sunscreen or sunglasses) to reap the benefits of nitric oxide, POMC (precursors to many hormones, higher levels of magnesium, and vitamin D, which correlates with testosterone). Also, sunshine helpsimprove your sleep, which helps your body cleanse and burn fat and build muscle.
- limiting inflammation.Chronic inflammation is associated with stubborn abdominal fat and an inability to build muscle despite lifting weights (so-called non-responders). Simple ways to reduce inflammation include getting at least 7 hours of sleep a night, drinking clean water, avoiding fluoridated water, getting sunshine daily, and avoiding foods that irritate your digestion.
So take a closer look at the other factors. Now let's take a look at the specifics of diet and nutrition for a skinny fat guy.
What should a thin fat man eat?
1. Foods with a high protein to energy ratio
Foods that contain the most protein with the least amount of energy will naturally put you into fat burning and muscle building mode - even without calorie tracking. That's because protein builds muscle, is incredibly filling, and is very difficult for protein to chemically convert to glucose (and then fat). Excess protein is mostly burned as body heat. The top foods are:
- Wild seafood like fish. Salmon, cod, mackerel, sardines, trout, etc.
- Grass-fed ruminant meat such as beef, lamb, goat, reindeer
- To a lesser extent other meats with less optimal nutrition such as chicken and pork
- Beef Broth / Bone Broth / Roasted Bone Marrow
- Collagen peptide powder
- Vegetables like roasted asparagus, carrots, squash, etc. (These don't have many objective amounts of protein, but because they're so low in calories, the protein-to-energy ratio is still very good.)
Great options with a lower protein-to-energy ratio include:
- raw milk
2. Whole foods that are minimally processed
Whole foods cooked at home still have their fiber and water content and require more chewing. This all helps with satiety and prevents overeating for energy. For example, eating grapes is more filling than eating raisins. A piece of sourdough wholemeal bread fills you up more than cake.
Plus, whole foods contain more nutrients and make you feel better. When you have more energy, you're more likely to walk and do weightlifting. You can also eat some of the “true” superfoods like grass-fed beef liver, kidney, and sweetbreads for tons of nutrients.
Finally, you should aim to eat homemade foods that aren't loaded with additives, preservatives, and rancid industrial oils. These bad, stubborn, fat-forming ingredients are found in restaurants, fast food, and packaged foods. It is best to set aside food preparation one day a week, e.g. B. on Sunday. Boil a large chili, 8-12 servings, and eat one serving for dinner and freeze the rest.
When you eat better, your hormones work better, you feel better, you move more - and you'll eventually get stronger and leaner.
3. Don't over-restrict healthy carbs (or fats).
Carbohydrates have often been demonized as "unnecessary". This is because protein can be synthesized into glucose by the body. But this process is incredibly taxing on the body, which is why we crave carbohydrates. They can be a great source of fiber, micronutrients, and vitamins. In addition, carbohydrates can:
- Carbohydrates increase testosterone and lower cortisol (to learn)
- Carbs can be stored as glycogen in muscle, which means those calories are less likely to be stored as fat (to learn)
- Carbohydrates can increase our exercise performance, allowing us to make better muscle-building adaptations (to learn,to learn)
- Carbohydrates can boost our immune system during exercise, allowing us to stay healthy and avoid catching a cold while exercising (to learn)
- Carbohydrates stop protein breakdown in your muscles during exercise and help your muscles to recover (to learn)
Does that mean we're licensed to overdo it on bad carb sources? no
And does that mean we should be drinking mass gainer shakes full of processed carbs? no
There are two discussions about carbohydrates. How industrially processed is the carbohydrate source? The second is how is your gut health? Some people have less stomach acid and will have a harder time digesting perfectly healthy carbohydrates. This will help carbs that are unhealthy for them. They need to fix the cause of their troubled gut health.
Even when someone's gut health is compromised, there is one carbohydrate that comes first.
Mostskinny fat men suffer from low testosterone and raw honey is one way to increase testosterone naturally (Study 2019) and can improve our health markers (Study 2020). It examines the paradoxical findings that raw honey, although containing sugar, is antidiabetic. (2012) All antidiabetics help to improve muscle growth and fat loss.
A high-protein diet will help you shift into fat-burning mode, but don't be afraid to eat quality carbohydrates and fats in the right amounts.
Healthy carbs could be things like:
- raw honey
- Baked fruit like apples, pears, peaches, etc.
- Other ripe fruits like bananas, mangoes, etc.
- Sour Dough Bread
- Sprouted/Sprouted Brown Rice
- white rice
- Fried potatoes (if you're good with nightshades)
- Green peas
- Sprouted chickpeas
What should a thin fat man not eat?
1. Limit foods with a high energy-to-protein ratio
These are foods that are almost low in protein and very high in energy. The most common examples are:
- Industrial cooking oils (soybean oil, corn oil, canola oil, safflower oil, etc.)
- Packaged and pasteurized juice
- White flour, which contains elemental iron that feeds bad gut bacteria (99% of bread, buns, pizza, muffins, croissants)
- Lemonade – even zero-calorie (contains toxic levels of fluoride, which damages the thyroid and other organs)
- Processed table sugar
- High Fructose Corn Syrup
2. Limit fat/carb combinations
This is technically covered in the first point by having almost no protein in it, with lots of energy. But when fats and carbohydrates are combined, they become much more effective.
For example, it's difficult to overeat a tablespoon of table sugar or a stick of butter alone. But if you combine butter, sugar and white flour, now it's incredibly tasty (cookies, cakes, etc.).
Incredibly tasty despite the fact that there is little to no protein (still lean) and pretty much no impact on our appetite (leading to overeating) and little in the health nutrients that require it, our stores of minerals /Robbing vitamins from our organs (leading to us feeling lousy.)
3. Limit liquid calories
Chewing more is one way to prevent overeating. So drinking your calories is almost a surefire way to add more calories.
Also, most drinks are highly processed.
Beer and wine can be included in a healthy diet in low doses, but often many people cannot limit it to one drink. This can add calories without protein or interfere with satiety. Also, many wines have added sulfates, which can burn copper in your body, making it harder to burn fat. For now, limit beer and wine and other types of hard alcohols. You can slowly reintroduce them later once you are comfortable with your fitness level.
Pasteurized and packaged juice is processed and many of the vitamins are decocted. This is why they add the vitamin C back in, you will see it on the ingredients, but this is fake vitamin C made in a lab from mold and is not healthy.
4. Avoid processed foods
Processed foods use inferior ingredients that are more likely to be stored as stubborn belly fat, like processed vegetable oils and trans fats. They lack the nutrients necessary for good gut health and well-being.
Because they're already "pre-digested," the calories they contain are much more bioavailable, meaning your body can get all the energy out of them - making it easier for your body to overeat.
In addition, many packaged foods contain preservatives, additives, emulsifiers, etc.in one2019 report on food additives, researchers suggested why additives can be so bad for our health. When consumed daily in small amounts, these food additives cause:
- Changes in the gut microbiota
- disrupt the intestinal mucosal barrier
- contribute to increased permeability of the intestinal layer
- promote the increased translocation of bacteria from the intestine into the bloodstream.
These four mechanisms contribute to low-grade chronic inflammation. This inflammation causes problems with blood sugar regulation, resulting in an inability to build muscle and a build-up of stubborn fat.
When should a thin fat man eat?
1. Eat your largest meals after lifting weights
Timing your meals can improve nutrient distribution — what your body does with the calories. Does it use those calories to help build muscle, or are they stored as fat for later use? Eat a little past satiety right after lifting weights, and then after you've eaten a few meals, cut back on calories a little and only eat to satiety.
2. Foods eaten in the dark have a greater chance of being stored as body fat due to circadian changes
You may want to limit eating after it's dark outside, or limit the late-night snack to an occasional treat (e.g., Friday and Saturday nights). because of mismatched calories and nocturnal hormones. We do not know, why.
For example, when the set goes down and it's dark outside, our bodies normally go into cleansing mode - starting with theMelatoninHormone. But if we're still eating food, it might not be handled optimally. For example at oneStudy 2017, researchers found that those who snacked at 11 p.m. compared to 7 p.m. gained more fat, increased insulin and cholesterol levels, and prevented fat burning.
3. Eating in a smaller window to get into a calorie deficit without trying
The most common form of time-restricted eating is known as a 16:8 intermittent fast, where you eat within an 8-hour window and fast for the other 16 hours. Typically, people eat from 12:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m., giving you a big lunch, a big dinner, and a snack before bed.
One downside to intermittent fasting is that it doesn't work well for everyone — some people get shaky or incredibly irritable. It also removes a muscle protein synthesis window and lowers our body's efficiency at processing protein. This inefficiency can subtly shift protein requirements slightly higher.
After all, intermittent fasting doesn't solve the problem of poor nutrition. It can help you burn fat by limiting calories, but now don't eat so many vitamins and minerals. This can make the stubborn fat problem worse in the future. Don't use intermittent fasting as a crutch to stick with your poor diet.
Example of a thin fat diet plan for a man
I'm not the biggest fan of meal plans because they assume we all have the same gut health, identical ingredients, and measure things perfectly with a scale. But I do know that there is a certain power in seeing exactly what others are doing, especially when it comes to inspiration.
Example meal plan for a 165 lb skinny fat man
- Estimated 2,200 maintenance calories
- Training days: 2600 calories (188g protein, 92g fat, 254g carbs)
- Rest days: 1800 calories (134g protein, 116 fats, 58g carbs)
BREAKFAST - POST WORKOUT SMOOTHIE
2 RAW EGGS, 20 g COLLAGEN PEPTIDES, 2 BANANAS, 1 CUP ALMOND MILK, 1 TSP ALMOND BUTTER
1 tbsp COCOA POWDER, 1 tbsp RAW HONEY
LUNCH - HEATED DINNER - CHICKEN KOBBS
CHICKEN BREAST, ONIONS, RED PEPPERS, GREEN PEPPERS, MARINADE
DINNER – FELLOWS' STEAK, MASHED POTATOES, COOKED GREEN SELECTION
8 OUNCES STEAK, 2 CUPS MASHED POTATOES, 1 TSP BEEF Tallow
SNACK - ORGANIC POPCORN
3 tbsp UNPOPPED ORGANIC SEEDS, 2 tbsp BEEF Tallow, 1 tbsp EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL, SEA SALT
BREAKFAST – SPINACH MUSHROOM EGG SCRAMBLED, NITRATE FREE BACON, COLLAGEN PEPTIDES
4 EGGS, BEEF Tallow, MUSHROOMS, SPINACH, GARLIC, 3 BACON STRIPS, 20 G COLLAGEN PEPTIDES WITH HOT WATER
LUNCH - WARMING DINNER - STEAK STRIPS WITH FRIED ASPARAGUS
4 OZ STEAK, 1 TSP OLIVE OIL, 1 CUP COOKED ASPARAGUS
DINNER - CHICKEN WINGS & VEGETABLES
10 CHICKEN WINGS, TSP HONEY, HOT SAUCE, 2 MEDIUM RAW CARROTS, 2 CELERY STICKS
LUNCH – TRAIL MIX – DARK CHOCOLATE NUTS + FRESH BERRIES
1/3 CUP PRANA KILIMANJARO MIXTURE
This meal plan was designed for someone who wanted to cook a lot to keep their meals fresh and interesting. There are many ways to make a meal plan easier if you're willing to eat the same foods often. For example, you can cook a large batch of chili, 16 batches at a time, and you'll have dinner and lunch ready for weeks. It can be reheated very easily without preparation or cleaning.
By combining exercise, walking outdoors, some lifestyle changes and diet, a skinny, fat body can be overhauled incredibly quickly. When it comes to food:
- What should a lean and fat person eat?
- Eat foods with a high protein-to-energy ratio, such as fish, meat, protein powder, and vegetables.(Eggs and tofu are still great options, although they're a bit higher in energy.)
- Eat whole, unprocessed foods that you cook at home.This solves many problems such as B. Avoiding inferior and industrially manufactured ingredients that are more likely to be stored as stubborn belly fat. Real food contains more fiber, water, vitamins and minerals - so your body can function at its best.
- What should a skinny, fat person avoid?
- Limit foods with a high energy-to-protein ratio such as cooking oils, refined sugar and flour, juice, etc.
- Limit (tasty) combinations of fat and carbohydrates.Like muffins, croissants, biscuits etc as they are incredibly easy to overeat as they taste great and do not interfere with satiety.
- Limit liquid calories.Like smoothies, beer and wine, and cream/sugar with coffee. Calories we drink don't affect our appetite in the same way that chewing would.
- Avoid processed foods.Not only are these foods low quality (empty in terms of nutritional value), but many of them contribute to stubborn belly fat (vegetable oils, industrial trans fats, etc.)
- When should a thin fat person eat?
- Eat your largest meals before and after resistance training.This helps with nutrient partitioning - making your calories more likely to work instead of being stored as fat. (Exercising more often also helps.)
- Try to get plenty of protein before and after exercise to minimize muscle protein breakdown during exercise and maximize recovery afterwards.Using protein powder can help with this.
- Try to eat more of your food earlier in the day and limit your food after sundown.This would help align your food intake with your body's circadian rhythm - making fat storage less likely and fat burning more likely.
- Try experimenting with time-limited eating for an easy way to get into a calorie deficit.The most popular method is the 16:8 intermittent fasting, in which you eat for an 8-hour window each day. (Can also subtly improve nutrient distribution by not eating when you're inactive, improve fat burning, and eat before and after exercise for the best exercise performance and recovery.)
What should skinny fat guys eat? ›
What should a skinny-fat person eat? Eat high protein-to-energy ratio foods like fish, meat, protein powders, and vegetables. (Eggs and tofu are still great options even though they're a bit more energy-dense.) Eat whole, unprocessed foods that you cook yourself at home.How to fix skinny fat men? ›
There are two ways to tackle skinny fatness: losing fat and building muscle. In other words, “cutting” and “lean bulking.” As I mentioned previously, most people who are skinny fat would be better served by building muscle before losing fat, as this will make the biggest impact on their appearance and health.How to go from skinny fat to toned male? ›
The basics lifts – Squat, Deadlift, Bench Press, Chin ups, Pushups, Dips and Rows – are the best exercises for skinny fat guys to build muscle.How long does it take to fix skinny fat? ›
Skinny-fat is extremely easy to rid in a relatively short amount of time (10 weeks) but the issue comes from the fact that skinny-fat men are lazy to begin with. This is what prolongs the duration of skinny-fat bodies well into the months and years.What not to eat if you're skinny fat? ›
Minimize simple carbohydrates and focus on getting most of your carbohydrates from whole grains, fruit, and vegetables. Include plenty of protein in your diet. Minimize sugary or high-calorie beverages like sodas, alcohol, and juices.What snacks for skinny fat? ›
Best Bulking Foods For Skinny-Fat People
Legumes (beans, chickpeas, etc.) High-energy fruit like bananas, avocados, mangoes, etc. Dried fruits like raisins, prunes, figs, mangoes, etc. Homemade cookies (oats, whole wheat flour, eggs, unrefined whole cane sugar or coconut sugar, etc.)
Getting rid of skinny fat is essentially synonymous with making your muscles more visible. That's why gaining muscle should be your priority. The best way to gain muscle is to focus on resistance training with compound movements. Think of classic lifts like squats, chest press, and deadlift.Is Rice good for skinny fat? ›
You can eat white rice at dinner and not worry about gaining weight. "Rice is the easiest grain to digest," said Diwekar. Meals like khichdi or dal rice topped with a dollop of ghee have a complete amino acid profile. These meals are rich in protein and good fats, both of which are important if you want to lose weight.Do skinny fat need cardio? ›
Skinny fat women are those who look skinny in clothes, but underneath the clothes look soft and flabby. The skinny fat body is caused by doing cardio only, eating a poor diet and genetic factors. Skinny fat workout should include a mix of resistance training (HIIT and lifting weights) plus cardio.Should you bulk or cut first if you are skinny fat? ›
You should bulk first if you are skinny fat. A 10% caloric surplus is optimal to build muscle while ensuring you don't put on a lot of excess body fat. Stay in a surplus for a minimum of 4 months and then begin a slow, gradual cut.
How many calories should skinny fat eat? ›
Maintenance calorie level will be around 12-15 calories per pound of lean body weight (total weight – fat weight). Below maintenance calories will be 10-12 calories per pound of lean body weight. High calories will be between 15-20 calories per pound of body weight. This will give you your fat weight in pounds.Is Swimming good for skinny fat? ›
Yes, we're talking about swimming for weight loss. Swimming is the perfect exercise to help you build a lean, toned physique. In this post, we'll cover everything you need to know about getting in the pool and getting the results you're looking for.What causes skinny fat? ›
Essentially, the net result of losing muscle mass (and decreasing metabolic rate) and gaining fat mass due to maintaining the same caloric intake with a lower metabolic rate creates the skinny fat condition. Diet and exercise (or lack thereof) play key roles here.Is Oatmeal good for skinny fat? ›
While oatmeal with a lot of high calorie add-ons like peanut butter or chocolate chips may promote weight gain, oatmeal made with water, fruit, and minimal sugar is an excellent meal for those trying to lose weight. That's because it's packed with fiber and numerous nutrients, such as magnesium, vitamin B1, and iron.How can a skinny fat guy get ripped? ›
Skinny-fat guys need to do a “body recomposition” where they change their muscle-to-fat ratio by simultaneously building muscle while burning fat. You can do this by eating a lot of meat and bone broth, which will help to build muscle. And then eating less overall calories, which will help to burn fat.What is skinny fat body type male? ›
“Skinny-fat” is when someone has a below-average amount of muscle combined with an unhealthy amount of body fat. Keep in mind that skinny-fat is a slang term. There's no strict definition. But if you're under-muscled (skinny) while also having too much body fat (fat), you could call that being “skinny-fat.”Is peanut butter good for skinny fat? ›
Peanut butter is a good source of protein that can promote the feeling of fullness and result in fat loss. It may also reduce your appetite and help you consume limited calories. This will help you lose weight. You may also experience better metabolism with the consumption of peanut butter.What snack has carbs but no fat? ›
Banana: A medium banana has 27 grams of carbohydrates with only a trace amount of protein and no fat.How much should I eat if I'm skinny fat? ›
Maintenance calorie level will be around 12-15 calories per pound of lean body weight (total weight – fat weight). Below maintenance calories will be 10-12 calories per pound of lean body weight. High calories will be between 15-20 calories per pound of body weight. This will give you your fat weight in pounds.What is the best thing to do if your skinny fat? ›
Getting rid of skinny fat is essentially synonymous with making your muscles more visible. That's why gaining muscle should be your priority. The best way to gain muscle is to focus on resistance training with compound movements. Think of classic lifts like squats, chest press, and deadlift.
Should skinny fat guys cut or bulk? ›
So, should you cut or bulk first if you are skinny fat? You should bulk first if you are skinny fat. A 10% caloric surplus is optimal to build muscle while ensuring you don't put on a lot of excess body fat. Stay in a surplus for a minimum of 4 months and then begin a slow, gradual cut.How do you exercise if you are skinny fat? ›
Move Around More: Skinny-fat cutting shouldn't include a high amount of cardio. Instead, you should try doing light cardio like walking around the neighborhood. A good starting point is at least 5,000 steps daily.Should I do cardio if I'm skinny fat? ›
Cardio keeps you slim but doesn't build enough muscle to keep your body fat level down. As you get older, your metabolism n aturally slows down. Your skinny fat workout regime must be based around building muscle that helps to keep your metabolism up and your body fat levels down.How long does it take to get a six pack from skinny fat? ›
The American Council on Exercise says a 1 percent body fat loss per month is safe and achievable. Given that math, it could take a woman with average body fat about 20 to 26 months to achieve the appropriate amount of fat loss for six-pack abs. The average man would need about 15 to 21 months.How long does it take for a skinny guy to get shredded? ›
In general terms, a person at a reasonable level of fitness will start to see changes after two months of serious strength training, and results should be clearly visible after four. For a truly ripped physique, most people need a minimum of one year's hard work.Should skinny fat guys take mass gainer? ›
Some people really do benefit from mass gainers, especially skinny guys who are having trouble gaining weight. They won't speed up the rate that your body can build muscle, though, they'll just make it easier to eat more of the right kinds of calories—protein and starchy carbs.Do you lose fat or muscle first? ›
What happens to body fat when you exercise? Your muscles first burn through stored glycogen for energy. “After about 30 to 60 minutes of aerobic exercise, your body starts burning mainly fat,” says Dr. Burguera.Should skinny guys do cardio or abs? ›
Skinny guys should train their abs because they'll need to build muscle everywhere. Compound movements, like the deadlift, will help the abs and obliques grow a little bit but won't push them to be as big and strong as they could be.How do you know if you are skinny fat? ›
- Elevated body fat percentage.
- Excess fat around your waistline (high waist circumference)
- High triglycerides.
- High low-density-lipoprotein (LDL or the “bad”) cholesterol and/or low HDL cholesterol.